The Maniitoba Camera Club is now a member of the Canadian Association of Photographic Art (CAPA).
Manitoba Camera Club
(Accepted October 2016)
I - General 1
II - Competition Categories and Themes 2
III - Print and Digital Image Sizing, Monochrome Definition 3
IV - April Open and Year-End Trophy Competitions 4
V – Judging and Points awarded 6
VI – Annual Awards and Trophies 7
VII - Miscellaneous 7
I - General
1. Competitions are open to all Club members whose membership fees have been paid for the current Club year. Honorary and Honorary Life members are included.
2. There are six (6) regular competitions between September and March inclusive. These are the only competitions for which points are awarded
3. Each April, the Club will have an Open Event, as well as four annual trophy competitions.
4. There are two levels for competitors - junior and senior. Generally, new members will compete at the junior level. Notwithstanding, new members will compete at the level best suited to their experience; as determined by that member and the Competitions Committee. This does not preclude any new member from electing to compete at the senior level.
5. A junior exhibitor will move to the senior classification after having accumulated a running aggregate total of fifty (50) or more points. Members cannot revert to the junior level, except by agreement of the Competitions Committee.
6. All monthly entries must be received by the Competitions Committee by the second last Tuesday of each competition month. Consult the MCC program schedule for specific dates and/or changes. Competitors will register their submissions on the “Monthly Competitions” sign-up sheets, available at that meeting. The Committee will take possession of all print entries at that time.
7. Entries by mail from out-of-town members are welcome. Return postage must accompany the entry, otherwise the images will not be returned or stored. MCC is not responsible for prints that are not picked up.
8. Entrants must own the copyright for the submitted image, and all elements used must be the original work of the competitor.
9. Model and/or property releases, if required, are the member's responsibility.
10. Commercially processed images are acceptable in all categories.
II - Competition Categories and Themes:
1. There are 3 categories for monthly competitions:
a) Monochrome print
b) Colour print
c) Digital projected image
2. Members may submit two (2) entries per category in each monthly competition. There are separate stipulations for the April Open and Themed Trophy competitions.
3. Prints and projected images may be derived from digital or film source.
4. All images may be enhanced or altered via photo editing software. This includes adding artistic or texture filters; removing or adding primary objects; creating a new image from one or more images; digital artwork; multi-layer compositions or collages; etc.
5. The Club will have OPEN theme competitions in the months of September, January, and April of each Club Year.
6. Themed competitions (as chosen each year by the Competitions Committee) will occur in the months of October, November, February, and March
7. An OPEN competition theme may include any subject matter
8. The April Trophy competition(s) and April Open event do not accumulate points
9. Any image may be submitted for competition a maximum of two times. This means one time in a monthly themed or open event and one additional time in the April Open or April trophy events.
III - Print and Digital Image Sizing, Monochrome Definition
Print Image Sizing and guidelines
a) All printed images must be exhibited on a matte or mount only. Framing is not allowed. More than one image in a single mat or print is allowed. Any image not meeting this requirement will be disqualified.
b) All prints, including matte cannot exceed 20 x 16 inches.
c) No identifying marks may appear on the front of the image or matte. Artists shall identify their work on the rear with their name, member number, Image name, event, and entry #
d) On back of image, use a simple arrow to indicate top of image
e) Images not meeting the above criteria may be disqualified at the discretion of the assigned judges
Digital Image Sizing and guidelines
a) Digital projected images may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or may be submitted on CD or USB thumb-drive. All entries must be received by 10 p.m. on the second last Tuesday of the competition month.
• Digital entries are to be submitted in jpeg format with a maximum file size of 2 megabytes.
• 1400 x 1050 pixels
• 95 ppi (pixels per inch)
• sRGB colour space
c) Labeling your digital entries:
• Your competition level (“j” for “Junior” or “s” for “Senior”)
• Your membership number
• Competitor’s name
• Competition month
• Image number (a sequential number 1 or 2 etc. for each submission)
For example: “S123_JSmith_Nov15_2” means: senior level, member 123, J Smith, November competition, entry #2
d) Images not meeting the above criteria may be disqualified at the discretion of the assigned judges.
Definition of Monochrome Image:
Monochrome prints or projected images may be black and white (Greyscale), or tinted with varying tones (Light to Dark) of a single overall colour (e.g. Sepia, Selenium, Copper or any other singular hue).
Multi-toned prints with various shades of two or more colours, including Duotone or Split Tone prints with two hues, are classified as colour. Prints that have been selectively painted with an accent colour in localized areas are also classified as colour. For example, a red apple with the rest of the print remaining black/white, will be classified as a colour print.
IV - April Open and Year-End Trophy Competitions
1. There are five year-end competitions, The April Open event and four Trophy competitions. The April Open event and each trophy competition has its own theme, rules, and award, as indicated.
2. Eligibility for April Open competition: To be eligible to enter in Colour, Mono, or projected categories, each member must submit at least one entry in each of Colour Print, Mono Print, and Projected Image category, in two or more monthly competitions during the current club year.
3. All rules regarding size, labeling, matte/mount, and dimensions per category still apply. No points are awarded for these competitions.
4. Each eligible member may enter TWO (2) images in each category of the APRIL OPEN Event.
5. At their discretion, the judges will present 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and 1st and 2nd Honorable Mention awards for each category.
6. Junior and Senior levels are judged separately for the April Open event
Year End Themed Trophy Competitions
The four Themed Trophy competitions are as follows:
1.Architecture – The Henry Kalen Trophy
• Label all entries "Architecture."
• The Henry Kalen Trophy will be awarded to the best image
2. Animals – The Arko Trophy
• The topic includes mammals, insects, birds, fish, amphibians and reptiles; however, humans are excluded
• Label all entries "Animals."
• The Arko Trophy will be awarded to the best image.
3. Life Images – MCC Life Images Trophy
• The images must tell us something real about the human condition, make us think about life (for example, about working, danger, monotony, excitement, despair, joy, times gone by, life styles, social comment or whimsy).
• Label your entries "Life Images."
• The MCC Life Images Trophy will be awarded to the best image
4. Contemporary Photography (Altered Reality) – The Delannoy Trophy
• Images should depict a departure from realism, often through the use of montages, motion blur, patterns, filters, selective focus, colouring or toning, zoom exposures, and other techniques via the darkroom or the computer.
• Images may be more art than photography, but they must begin with one or more photographs that are the sole work of the creator of the image (i.e. no clip art).
• The purpose of such techniques is to alter reality to the point where the image is drastically different than what was originally viewed through the viewfinder.
• Label your entries “Contemporary Photography.”
• The Delannoy Trophy will be awarded to the best image.
Eligibility for Themed Trophy Event(s): there is no pre-requirement to have entered a monthly event
All members compete against each other in Themed Trophy Events. There are no senior or junior categories.
Only one trophy/plaque will be presented to the winning image for each theme
NOTE: Each member may submit a maximum of four (4) images for each trophy theme. Images may be monochrome OR colour prints OR digital projected, OR any combination of those three. There are no separate categories of colour, mono, or projected in the four Themed Trophy events.
V – Judging and Points awarded
• Rankings are awarded points as follows:
1st place 5 points
2nd place 4 points
3rd place 3 points
1st honourable mention 2 points
2nd honourable mention 1 point
• MCC Judging guidelines shall be provided to judges. The guidelines are just that – guidelines to assist. Judges are not bound to assign a score to each entry.
• Entries must fit the theme for the month. Judges will eliminate any image that is outside of the theme.
• The judges will designate one of entry as the “Image of the Month.” Two (2) points are awarded.
• Awards are at the discretion of the judges. Judges may decide, based on merit, not to grant any one or more of the awards. Ties are not permitted.
• Judging will be arranged by the Competitions Committee. Three (3) judges will adjudicate the entries preferably including a professional photographer, an artist and a Club member. Club members who serve as judges shall not be eligible to have entries in that month’s competition.
• Any Club member who judges a monthly competition will receive three (3) points, which will count towards their “Grand Aggregate” total but will not influence their junior or senior ranking.
• Judges' decisions are final.
VI – Annual Awards and Trophies
Junior and Senior Aggregate Awards
Awarded to one junior and one senior member in each category
• Monochrome Print
• Colour Prints
• Digital projected images
Awards are based on the accumulated total score in each category from monthly competitions and points assigned for judging. Tie Breaking: The higher number of 1st places, followed by the higher number of 2nd places, etc.
Grand Aggregate Award Awarded to the member with the most points accumulated in all categories from each monthly competition as well as points earned for judging.
VII - Miscellaneous
Special competitions may be announced at any time. Conditions of entry will be set by the Competitions Chairperson. No points will be awarded for these competitions.
The Manitoba Camera Club Inc. reserves the right to make duplicates of all placing images and, with the photographer's agreement, enter these into national and international competitions. Winning images may be displayed on the Club website.
The Manitoba Camera Club Inc. will be the owner of these duplicates (but does not assert rights to the content) with all credit given to the photographer.
Members must own all the rights to the works submitted. As such, members hold the Manitoba Camera Club harmless from any breach of copyright laws in Canada and elsewhere.
The Manitoba Camera Club Inc. is not liable for loss or damage of entries, however caused.
Participation in any competition indicates your acceptance of competition rules.